Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bitter Pill

I know it has been a while since I posted. I haven’t been feeling well for the last few weeks. I was not in the mood to write or basically do anything. I’ve spent every day on the verge of tears and I’ve just been an emotional mess. I am constantly balancing on the edge of this big black abyss known as depression. I know that if I fall, I will disappear into it forever. It’s a scary feeling and I hate it. I’ve stumbled a bit lately which led to an extremely emotional and unhappy me. Basically, I just lost myself for a bit.

But I did make a very important discovery over the last few weeks. I was reading Shape magazine and came across an article where a doctor said that exercise was important in fighting depression. I know in my last post I said I was going to get back into exercising again and I did for a day but I couldn’t get it together to do it again. But after I read that article, I swear you could see the light bulb turn on over my head. I put two and two together and realized that I had become more depressed the longer I went without exercising. My mom also mentioned that I was much happier when I was exercising. And she was right. Not only was exercising good for my overall physical well-being but it was also good for a my mental health.

As a life-long member of the” I Hate Exercise Club” this is a bitter pill to swallow. But the truth is the truth. I need to exercise and not just to lose weight which I’ve always seen as the main benefit of exercising. I need to do it to keep myself mentally and emotionally fit. To help me balance on the edge of that abyss. I’m back to exercising 5-6 days a week using the Wii and the treadmill and I already feel better.

2 comments:

Angie said...

You know, Jon has said the very same thing! He told me one night when I asked him what was getting him so down, "I didn't exercise today and I feel BLAH." I sort of poo-pooed the notion that he was happier, less moody when he did he regular exercise routine, but after he said that, I really payed attention and he really is a better version of himself when he is faithful to taking care of himself, both physically and mentally. Now if only I could get with the program. Blech. I'm working on it. Can being OCD on housecleaning count?? :o)

Unknown said...

Hey, Angie. I poo-pooed that idea to until this last little bit of depression. I finally have to admit that exercising does make me feel better. Ugh..I hate saying that..LOL

 

design by suckmylolly.com