Sunday, September 19, 2010

10 Things I Can Now Do

Losing 40 pounds sounds like a lot and it sounds like a little depending on the context. I know 40 pounds is a lot of weight. The thought of picking up 40 pounds and carrying it any distance at all exhausts me. On the other hand, it looks like a small amount in the grand scheme of things. I do still have another 129 pounds to lose to reach my goal. I decided to look at how losing this 40 pounds has impacted my everyday life so I can really appreciate it...instead of dwelling on the 129 pounds I still have left to do.

1 - I can not only carry my daughter on my shoulders but I can lift her up there all by myself. I love being able to do that!!

2 - Play with my kids on the beach. Race them to surf. Spin around with them. Basically, participate in their lives. It was so awesome not to be on the sidelines this time.

3 - Touch my toes. So simple, right? But honestly, I can't remember the last time I could stand up and touch my toes. It's pretty cool...LOL

4 - Do a decent squat. Yes, squats are the hardest exercise. A tool of the Devil...LOL But I can now do a good one. And do a bunch of them in a row. Something I couldn't do when I first started. The squats have definitely gotten deeper which makes me happy even though it hurts. Just call me a glutton for punishment...LOL

5 - Tie my shoes. Yep, I can now bend over and tie my shoes without lifting my leg or putting my body through awkward and embarrassing contortions. Something I started doing only in the privacy of my bedroom and didn't even realize I was doing that! Wow!!

6 - Stand up from a sitting position without thinking about it. I know it sounds so simple that you are probably wondering why it is on the list. But when you weigh as much as I did, getting up was a big ordeal. Something you did with a lot of effort and not very gracefully.

7 - Walk for long periods of time. I did it in Morro Bay for the first time this summer and was able to enjoy the town in a way I never had before. I followed that up by doing in Pismo down by the pier. Another first for me. As many times as I had been to Pismo, it was the first time I walked around the pier or the shops. Remember, I always avoided walking if possible before because I was always so tired. Not anymore! And this has been the best summer in years because of that.

8 - Fit into most restaurant booths. Wow, you wouldn't believe the difference 40 pounds makes when trying to sit down in a booth. I've had a few embarrassing moments where I didn't fit. Now, it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. Can't wait until it isn't a problem EVER!!

9 - Get up the steps into my trailer. The steps into the trailer are awkward as it is and there isn't a handle to help you. Not too mention they are pretty high. I've dreaded them each time and avoided going in and out of the trailer as much as possible. I've recently noticed that it doesn't bother me anymore. I have not only lost fat but built up some muscle in my legs. I can easily lift myself up there now.

10 - None ya business...LOL I have a number 10 but I'm not going to share this one. It would definitely fall into the TMI category. Now, I can see all your little minds racing...LOL Just know that it is a good one!

So, that's it. That is 10 not so little things that I can now do. After reading this list, it makes it easier to see the 40 pound loss for what it is instead of what it isn't. I feel good about myself and my progress.

Next list at 80 pounds lost and that's a promise!

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com