Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Battle of the Balance Board

Back in October of 2009 when I started classes for Kaiser’s Bariatric program, I talked my hubby into buying me a Wii, the Wii Fit game, Balance Board and as many accessories as I could talk him into. Come on, you know me. I went for as much stuff as I could get…LOL Imagine my chagrin when I realized I was 13 lbs too heavy for the Balance Board and I couldn’t use the game and all the cool stuff I bought. I was crushed! I put it away and figured I would eventually get to use it…someday.

If you have been reading this blog, then you know what happened next. I lost my insurance which meant the surgery was out of the question. Depression set in and I gained an additional 6 lbs. Now I was 19 lbs too heavy for the Balance Board.

For the last 8-9 months, the game has sat in a closet unused and the Board has been collecting dust on a shelf. A few months ago, I got my butt in gear and I’ve now lost 24 lbs. Even though the loss has put me 5 lbs below the Board’s limit I was still afraid to try it. I didn’t want to be depressed or get upset if it still wouldn’t let me on it. But today a friend of mine (Hi, Tammy) posted on Facebook how much fun she was having with the Wii Fit Plus. It got me thinking that maybe I should just try it. I’m looking for more ways to exercise and I’ve already spent all that money on it. I know how much weight I’ve lost and regardless of the outcome, I’m still down 24 lbs no matter what that stupid Board says.

I pulled up my big girl panties and brought the game out. Of course the batteries were dead in the Board and I had to get it all set up which was a pain in the butt. But once I had it set up and the game was on, it was the moment of truth. I cringed as I stepped on the Board and…it worked!! It didn’t turn off. It started calculating my weight, balance, etc. I was finally able to use the Balance Board and play the Wii Fit game today. I am so freaking excited!! I feel like I accomplished this huge goal and that I won the battle against the Board (yes, I was fighting with an inanimate object..LOL).

Granted the damn game does say “Oh!” whenever I stand on the Board and it proceeded to tell me I was obese during the weigh-in. Yes, it actually says that…like I didn’t already know. And then it gave me my Wii Fit age. According to the Wii, I’m 49 years old…11 years older than my true age. Yep, that hurt but come on, it wasn’t really a surprise. I weigh 320 lbs. Obviously, I’m not fit. LOL

But now I have a new goal on this journey. I’m going to bring that age lower and lower and lower. I’m going to shut that game up!

Oh and for the record, it really is fun!! I did some step aerobics, balance exercises, hula hoop exercises, yoga and strength training. I can’t wait for tomorrow!

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com