Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Independence from Fat

On the 4th of July I celebrated our country’s independence like the rest of the country. We took the kids to see the fireworks at the country club. No, we don’t belong to it….LOL We parked on the side of the street and stood by the car to watch the show. It was beautiful! And watching my children’s faces light up was the best part. My 2-year old daughter kept calling out each color (especially the pink..she loves pink) and saying how “pwetty” each one was while my 4-year old son made the “kaboom” noises with each blast.

At one point, my son said he was tired. I told him he would have to stand since my daughter was already on my hubby’s shoulders. And I couldn’t hold him. I mean, he is too heavy and I’m too weak to hold his 46 lb weight. So he did what 4 year olds do….he whined a little and kept trying to sit down on the ground. But since there wasn’t really a sidewalk, I didn’t want him to sit in someone’s yard. I finally told him to come here and I would hold him. To my surprise, I actually did. I was able to easily pick him up and put him on my hip. I held him for about 5 minutes until my arms got tired but I was shocked I was able to do that. And I was so proud of myself. I realized that my exercising was not only helping me lose the fat but truly building my muscles. I was stronger than I realized.

My hubby said he would take him if I could put my daughter on my shoulders. Once again, my first reaction was “No way”. I couldn’t hold her on my shoulders. They are my weakest part. I complain every time I have to do shoulder exercises. Plus, I’m clumsy and my balance has never been that strong. I’d topple right over or drop her…wouldn’t I? And who was going to get her down? I couldn’t possibly bring her down off of my shoulders. She weighs 34 lbs and I just knew I couldn’t lift that much weight up high enough to get her down. But after looking at her sweet face, I shook off my fears and said “Sure.”

My hubby put her on my shoulders and it was…fine. No problem at all. I was able to easily hold and balance her weight on my shoulders. I looked at my son on my hubby’s shoulders and my daughter on mine. I thought that we must look sort of sweet as a family. Kind of like a picture from a movie. We’ve never done this before. Actually, I should say I’ve never done this before. Up until now, I was always too tired and weak to hold them like this. In that moment, I realized something very important. Exercising was not only helping me burn the hated fat that I want to lose but also building up muscles and strength that I didn’t even know I was missing or that I wanted. And I do, I do want that. I loved holding my baby on my shoulders. And when it was time for her to get down, I just lifted her up and set her down. I didn’t even need any help!

This year the 4th of July was a celebration of our country’s independence but it meant a little more to me. That day as I held my baby on my shoulders, I celebrated my independence from the weight that held me prisoner and from my own inactivity that kept me weak.

A toast to a stronger and healthier me!!

1 comments:

Angie said...

Your posts always make me tear up. I'm celebrating right with you and acknowledging that I too want that independence from fat. The limitations I've let it put on me; from not traveling to being scared that I'll break a chair just by sitting in it.
We are proving everyday that we are in control, WE have the right to be happy and experience life. Holding Lili on your shoulders, you were showing her too that you are a part of life that is going on around you and want to be right there LIVING it!! I love you Trish. I'm so proud of all the discoveries you are making and helping me discover them too right along with you!!

 

design by suckmylolly.com