Friday, July 23, 2010

My Camping Revelations


We spent 5 days in Morro Bay last week like we do every July. I discussed how much I was looking forward to this trip in an earlier post because of my weight loss and my overall better health. And boy, did it make a difference. I had the best time ever! I may have gone camping there 5 pounds lighter at some point during the last 6 years but never in better shape.

Here are a few of the things I noticed while camping this year:

• First and foremost, potty time is important time..LOL I can get in and out of our bathroom in the trailer much, much easier. It was awesome!! I didn’t feel as uncomfortable as I usually do in there and there were no contortions involved when entering the bathroom. I must say it again…..AWESOME!!

• My big, bulky camping jacket was much looser on me. I keep this jacket in the trailer and only wear it when camping on the coast at night. It’s a men’s plaid jacket with the fake fur lining. It used to barely button but now it buttons and I can grab a handful of material and pull it away from me. I could really see the difference and that was inspiring!

• I actually squatted down and sat on the trailer steps. Then got back up without even thinking about it. It was incredible to know that I was strong enough to move like that!

• We rode the trolley around town. We have never done it before because of me and my fears. I was always too afraid I wouldn’t fit in the seat (which I did easily…I think I let my mind build these situations up to outlandish proportions). I also didn’t want to do it because that meant that I would have to walk around town when we got there and heaven forbid! I didn’t want everyone to see how tired I would get from walking. Well, I’m really glad we did it this time. We did it two days of our vacation. On the second day, we spent 5 hours in town walking around and riding on the trolley. The kids had a blast and I was able to experience the beautiful town of Morro Bay in a way I never had. Plus, I never got tired or wanted to go back.

• I walked and walked and walked. Mostly with my kids around the campgrounds and I loved it. My daughter and I even did a few small sprints. I didn’t even care what I looked like or what anyone else thought. Lili and I were laughing and having fun. Isn’t that what is most important anyway? Besides, it gave my 70 year old father-in-law a break. I’m ashamed to say that he usually took the kids for walks because I was too out of shape and/or lazy to do it. Pretty pathetic, right? But that’s over and done with. That's not who I am anymore.

I know some of these items may seem small or inconsequential. But to me, they were huge. Each accomplishment, no matter how small, keeps me motivated and keeps me on my journey. This year it was a new healthier, happier me that went to Morro Bay and I like her. I like her enough that I voluntarily had a couple of pictures of myself taken. That is huge! Okay, no pun intended…LOL

Can’t wait to see what comes next on my journey!

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com