Friday, June 11, 2010

"Fat" Habits

I was doing laundry today and it dawned on me how many habits there are that fat people use to cope with everyday situations. Habits that perpetuate the fat lifestyle we are leading. For example, I always automatically without even thinking about it pick a table over a booth at a restaurant. And if I don’t want to make an issue about picking a table and get stuck with a booth, I will try to be the first person at the booth so I can pick the widest side of the booth to sit on regardless of who I am with. Time to face facts here…ugh I hate this part… I am usually the biggest person there anyway, including my husband. Yep, I just admitted. I am freaking bigger than my husband who is a big guy anyway. Crap, this whole honesty thing may just kill me yet…LOL

Okay, I digress. Back to fat habits. I may be writing about these occasionally as I face them myself and try to change them. The one I faced today was a laundry habit. Hanging clothes to dry. When you are fat you tend to hang as much stuff as possible regardless of the care label on the clothing. You don’t want it to shrink even a little bit because that may mean you needed to buy a bigger size in the first place or have just plain outgrown the one you are wearing now. You don’t admit those are the reasons. You come up with a lot of other reasons…the material is really too delicate and they messed up the care instructions (oh, yeah, right…LOL), you don’t want the color to fade, it’s cheaper, etc. So you hang them…lots of them. For a while there, you could barely get into our bathroom because of the amount of clothes that were hanging up to dry.

Well, unless the care label says to hang dry, I’m not going to do it anymore. Most items don’t shrink in the dryer anymore and if they do it’s a negligible amount. Sure, they may feel tighter when they come out of the dryer. That’s normal and they usually loosen up as you wear them. And if they don’t, well, chances are pretty good it isn’t the dryer’s fault...it may be that Mud Pie I ate at Elephant Bar (1100 freaking calories people…I looked It up!!). It’s up to me to make sure my clothes don’t get tight by eating right and exercising. Actually it’s up to me to make them loose so I can indulge my shopping habit and buy some new clothes in a smaller size!!

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com