Saturday, June 12, 2010

I'm a Foodie

I’m sure you all are thinking that isn’t surprising since I’m fat. But the truth is, I was never a foodie before. I never loved food. I ate for emotional reasons. And sure food tastes good but it was never about that for me. It was never about the preparation, presentation or flavor. It was about what would fill that emotional hole in the fastest way.

I’ve come to the realization that I have recently become obsessed with food in all its glory. I watch cooking shows, look for recipes, and talk about it all the time. To my husband, my mom, my sister, my bestie, Siomara, my in-laws..everyone. It occupies my mind all the time. When I realized the extent I was thinking about food, I had to stop and wonder if this was healthy. Was this obsession with food a positive or negative in regards to the journey I’ve embarked on?

All evidence points to it being a positive force on my journey. I am actually thinking about what I’m eating and not just mindlessly shoving food in like I’ve been known to do. It takes no thought on my part to eat badly. It’s second nature and something I’ve spent years perfecting. Eating right is new to me. I have to retrain myself to eat throughout the day and not gorge. That training requires that I plan meals…what to eat and how to cook it. It also requires learning new cooking techniques to prepare food in a healthy way but also so that it is flavorful. I’m even growing some of my own herbs and learning the difference fresh herbs can make in a dish. (Okay for all those who just scoffed in disbelief…my hubby is doing the actual gardening…LOL) I’m learning how to make good choices so that I stay within my WW points during the day. I’m also learning how to splurge on one thing and realize that I need to cut it somewhere else to make up for the splurge. That is the hardest lesson…each choice has consequences.

None of this is easy. It requires effort to change a lifetime of thinking or actually NOT thinking about food.

So, yeah…I’m a foodie.

2 comments:

Siomara said...

Hey, how many points are pomegranates?

Unknown said...

2 points for 1 whole one. Not bad.

 

design by suckmylolly.com