Friday, June 25, 2010

Healthy Camping?

Just putting those two words together seems wrong. Camping has always meant s’mores, donuts, chips, hamburgers, hot dogs, candy, soda (when I was younger), alcohol (now…LOL), etc. You aren’t supposed to diet while you are camping. You are supposed to party and have fun, and we all know that dieting is not fun!! Until recently, camping was synonymous with “free-for-all” to me. Everything was okay to eat because I was camping! That may not make sense to some of you but that is how my brain works. Scary, huh?..LOL

I’ve had to change the way I view camping since I’ve started this journey. Having fun doesn’t have to mean eating bad. The “fun” I have shouldn’t revolve around the food I eat. It should revolve around the people I’m with and the activities we do.
I’ve cut out all the junk and changed a few things.

Here's how I'm dealing with being healthy while camping...

• We still have hamburgers and hot dogs we just buy the turkey variety and use Sandwich Thins instead of regular buns. (Those Oroweat Sandwich Thins are awesome and only 1 point for the whole bun.)

• I keep a bowl of fruit on the table in the trailer and I bought a big bag of frozen fruit to have for dessert. Soooo yummy!!

• Veggie kabobs are one of Rob’s favorites so we have those at dinner each night. Chop up veggies (we uses onion, different colored peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash) and put on skewers. Spray with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle on the seasoning of your choice and grill. Really delicious.

• Also have salads. They are fresh and light in calories.

• Breakfasts revolve around egg burritos made with whole wheat tortillas and pancakes with sugar-free syrup (Mrs. Butterworth makes a good one).

• For a sweet treat, I bring yogurt and fat-free sugar-free puddings. I’m also going to bring some Mock Ice Cream Sandwiches (2 tbsp Cool Whip Lite or Free between two graham crackers then freeze and wrap separately in tin foil).

• Water…lots of water. I also bought about 5 boxes of the individual sugar-free low calorie drink mixes. Shakes it up a little bit without adding the sodium or calories of soda.

• Alcohol always leads to tequila. LOL I found a lite margarita mix at Walmart that is only 10 calories per 4 oz serving which means I can have a 6 oz margarita for 2 points. My idea of heaven. I’ll let you all know how it tastes.

Camping can be healthy. It really can and I think I’ve almost convinced myself of that…LOL

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Another great camping dessert (I'm all about the dessert it seems) is to make banana boats. Cut the peel of the banana and kind of smush it open without breaking or peeling it completely. Once you have it split open, kind of smush the banana in the peel. Then put in a few (seriously don't know how many) mini marshmallows and about a T. of mini choc chips on top of the banana. Wrap in aluminum foil and then put near the coals of the fire. The chips and the mallows get melty and it tastes like a banana split. Now that I think of it though, it might not be that WW friendly. But super yummy. I guess you could skip the chocolate chips and marshmallows but then it just take like hot banana which probably isn't that good at all...forget this comment and do not try it. It's a bad idea after all.

Omigosh, I think I need a dessert intervention!

Unknown said...

Ohmigosh, Leslie!! You are sooo funny!! Ilove the idea but don't have either the marshmallows or chocolate chips. I am going to make strawberry shortcake. The Bisquick shortcakes are only 5 points per cake. Not too bad.

 

design by suckmylolly.com